Research into QTVR

To get this project to a start i decided to look into QTVR's to find out a bit more about them. As I had only brief knowledge of them prior to this project. I remember seeing them on tourism website to give you an insight into the resort or location you will be visiting.

'QuickTime VR (virtual reality) (also known as QTVR) is a type of image file format supported by Apples QuickTime and the exploration of objects through images taken at multiple viewing angles. It functions as a plugin . It allows the creation and viewing of photographically captured panoramasfor the standalone QuickTime Player, as well as working as a plugin for the QuickTime Web Browser plugin. QuickTime VR will play on Windows computers as well as Apple Macintosh computers.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QTVR

After looking it up on Wikipedia I felt I had more detailed information on how to create a QTVR. I realised that there were several kinds of QTVR such as:

-Cylindrical (the form we will be outputting)
-Cubic
-Spherical

I also had a brainstorm on what QTVRs might be used for to possibly trigger some ideas to start my project. As I had established before starting this research I already knew that they were used within the tourism industry, I think it is a good way to give the tourist an idea of the destination. When I went on holiday to Tunisia there was a similar VR covering aspects of the resort:

Here is a similar programme but it is not actually QuickTime.
http://www.iberostar.com/EN/hotel/visitavirtual.asp?codiconc=85&idiocodi=2&publicado=S

QTVR's are also used to record an event which is done very well on one of the sites i visited. It is recording New Years Eve on the strike of 12 in different capital cities all over the world. I found this very interesting as you could grasp what it was like to be there in that precise time in almost every country.

http://www.panoramas.dk/New-Year-2008/index.html

No comments: